Re: xdm startup?

Mike Miller <miller5@uiuc.edu> writes:

> wouldn't start.  After looking about a bit, I found that
> /etc/init.d/xdm was empty and that the start up script was in
> /etc/init.d/xdm.dpkg-dist.
>
> Can anyone help me sort out where I went wrong?  Or is this a
> feature that I don't understand?

This is a dpkg feature.

Imagine you use leafnode and have customised your /etc/leafnode.conf.

Now you install a new version of leafnode.

dpkg will notice that there is already a /etc/leafnode.conf and if will
ask what to do.

- You can keep your old config, then dpkg will install the config file from
  the package as /etc/leafnode.conf.dpkg-dist, so you don't loose your
  customisation, but still can inspect the package maintainers version.

- You can install the package maintainer's version of the config
  file. dpkg will automaticaly rename your old config file to
  /etc/leafnode.conf.dpkg-old, so you can revert to your custom file.

Most likely you told dpkg to keep your old /etc/init.d/xdm file, which was
a dummy script.

Ciao,
	Martin