Re: shell program menu

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 08:06:02PM -0900, Adam Shand wrote:
> > We wrote a simple C program which allows users to delete, rename (etc etc)
> > files in their home directory, and also gives them access to Z-modem (this
> > menu was written before PPP :-).
>
> Lynx does a reasonable file manager, but you can't hide .. from
> their home directory, for example, unfortunately.

But you can make /home have permissions 751 and group-owned by a group
that you pust trusted users in. That way, untrusted users won't see .. in
the file listing, because they aren't allowed to read it. They _should_ be
able to access (execute) it, though, or else they won't be able to read
anything under it.

When I tested ths, I noted that "lynx ." doesn't work as expected, because
it can't find the current directory for some reason. "lynx $HOME" still
complained, but worked. "cd /tmp ; lynx $HOME" seemed to work perfectly
well.

Remco