Re: question

Jonathan Lawson <C.J.Lawson@cranfield.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:13:22 -0800 JJS wrote:
>
> > From: JJS <jjs@fx2.com>
> > Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:13:22 -0800
> > Subject: question
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Cc: JJS@fx2.com
> >
> > I have installed Linux. I am using the BASH shell. After installing the
> > things using Dselect, I tried to mount my CD-rom drive using
> > mount -t iso9660 /hdc/device /cdrom
> > I got an error message saying that mount can only be used by root. How do I
> > fix this problem?
>
> Hi,
>     you have to 'as root' change the permissions of /dev/hdc and of /cdrom and set
> read/execute permisions on them
> chmod 555 "filename"
>  check the manpages for chmod for the meaning and possibly exact syntax of the chmod
> command ..

A better solution if you just want non-root users to be able to mount
CDs in a specific location is to add a line like the following to
/etc/fstab:
/dev/hdc    /cdrom iso9660 user,noauto  0 0

Then anyone can just do "mount /cdrom", and mount will adjust the
permissions on /cdrom appropriately.

Also, normal users can't then mess with the /cdrom directory except to
mount CDs there and read stuff off it.