Re: Netscape releasing source code for 5.0

On 23 Jan 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > I doubt that the license will be compatible with the GPL.  They will
> > almost certainly demand an unrestricted license on all changes, and
> > the talk of a "special site" makes me think that they will forbid
> > unauthorized distribution of derivatives.
>
> Craig Sanders writes:
> > ideas aren't copyrightable.
>
> > ideas on how (and how NOT) to do things can be re-used at will.
>
> And your point is?

the bleeding obvious:

    mnemonic can derive some benefit from ideas expressed in netscape's
    source code without having to cut-and-paste any of netscape's code
    into mnemonic.

    and vice-versa.

in any case, my suspicion is that netscape's license will be close
enough to GPL to make most people happy.

craig

--
craig sanders