Re: Allow only certain users to print?

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> I want to only let a few users print, using lprng.  I put the
> following line in lpd.perms, but it didn't seem to have any effect:
>
> REJECT SERVICE=P SERVER NOT USER=blp,brook,laura,root
>
> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I think you want:

	REJECT SERVICE=R,P NOT USER=blp,brook,laura,root

The LPRng documentation is not clear on what, exactly, "R" and "P"
mean and how they differ, but all the examples for rejecting printing
services include "R" and "P" together.  Additionally, if you include
the "SERVER" keyword, you're *only* rejecting print requests that
originate on the host running "lpd", which probably isn't what you
want to do; you want to reject them no matter where they come from.

Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>