Re: [xscreensaver] How to add custom hack...

  SC> I have xscreensaver 2.14-1 (hamm) installed on my machine.  I
  SC> have created a custom hack after grabbing the soucres for 2.15
  SC> How do I make the xscreensaver binary aware of my hack?  Do I
  SC> have to create a new Debian package for 2.15?

I'll be packaging 2.15 as soon as I can get to it - I'll get it done
Saturday, if not sooner. But you don't need to go through that to add
hacks. :) XScreenSaver gets the list of screenhacks to use from the
property "XScreenSaver*programs". It's just a string property with the
values separated by \n (newlines). See
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver for an example - It's
listed as *programs therem, since the XScreenSaver is implicit. You
can put this resource either in your .Xdefaults, /etc/X11/XResources,
or a custom app-defaults file (usually it would be
~/app-defualts/XScreenSaver - it will be loaded after the system
app-defaults).

  SC> I see a file called <xscreensaver
  SC> directory>/driver/XScreenSaver.ad Where does the Debian package
  SC> install this file?

The file is installed as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver-nogl and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver-gl (the -nogl comes with
xscreensaver, and the -gl comes with xscreensaver-gl, which is just
the GL hacks from the xscreensaver split out into a separate package,
so the main package doesn't require the Mesa libraries to be
installed). Please don't change those, though, as they will be
overwritten when you upgrade the package.

If any of this is unclear or needs further explanation, feel free to
ask :)

HTH,
-Larry
--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/