Re: Netscape releasing source code for 5.0

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> I am curious to find out what folks in the Debian community think of
> this.
>
> 1. What are the changes that you would make to the source code to make
> the browser better?

the big one is port it to use GTK rather than Motif. but start off by
porting it to lesstif because a GTK port is likely to be a long and
difficult project.

possibly re-use parts of netscape browser in mnemonic. and vice-versa.

cut down on code bloat. optimise it for speed.

compile-time options so you can build your own netscape as lean or as
bloated as you like.

recompile for libc6 and shared libs.

> 2. What features would you add to the browser?

number one on my list of desirable features is a filtering module - so
that filtering (and on-the-fly regexp based content modification) of web
pages is possible in the client. e.g. strip out the annoying javascript
that geocities web server adds to the end of user's pages to pop up an
advertising window. filter out <BLINK> tags. filter out javascript which
uses the status bar for annoying scrolling messages.

fix up the cookies stuff so that you don't have to click "no" all the
time. make it remember the fact that you don't want to ever send cookies
to certain sites but do want to send them to others. similar to how lynx
handles cookies (No, Yes, Never, Always).  Also allow users to inject
fake cookies to subvert the ability to track people.

maybe embed a perl interpreter as an alternative to javascript.

> 3. Would a UN*X developer add a feature that is unix specific.  Or
> would he / she add a cross platform feature?

yes and yes.

craig

--
craig sanders