switching v.c. to X, loose all video output

Hi.

When I switch from from virtual console to the one that X is running
on, the screen occasionally goes blank. I then can't switch back to
either a text or X screen.  I can power down with ctrl-alt-delete.
'reset' into the keyboard, ctrl-bkspace, attempting to switch
consoles does not restore video.

The kernel is 2.0.33, window managers fvwm2 & fvwm-95.
All of the X bins are current with ftp dselect sites.

What would cause this? Can it be prevented or the system restored w/o
rebooting?

Sincerely,
Jon Shickel