Re: telnet to localhost

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:

> I can not telnet or ftp to localhost, it says that service is not
> started, but I can see them in /etc/service, can some body tell me where
> should I check for this error?
> Further more I can not even ftp or http to my box from the net, even
> thou my apache and wuftpd is up and running.., it says something like
> connection closed by my server.
>
> but I can do every outbound connection like ftp, telnet to the others
> from my box, right now running kernel 2.0.32...
>
> thanks
> kusuma

Kasuma,

The reason you cannot telnet or ftp is that the inetd daemon is not
running. Even when off the 'net', telnet, ftp and many other daemons are
started by the inetd daemon. Think of inetd as a supervisor daemon.

You can get inetd or a similar package called xinetd ( which I use ).

The inetd daemon comes with netbase so you should have it. The xinetd
daemon has it's own package and is called xinetd ( what else :)).

Hope this helps.

Myron.

 .sig is not available right now. Leave you name, number and something
inspirational after the dotted line and it will get back to you as soon as
possible.