[Q] 56K US Robotics?

Hello,
Would anyone know how to verify that I am connecting to
Internet at 56K.  I run Debian hamm + 2.1.78 kernel.
I use X-ISP package to connect (it displays 31.200 connected speed).
I know that when I use the same modem connecting to the same ISP
only running WinNT -- it connects at 56K.
I made sure that setserial is used with "speed_vhi" options when
setting up my serial ports. My pppd is 2.3 patch level two.

What else do I need to do to get it going at 56K.   And may be I am
connecting at 56K -- but how do I verify it for sure (my modem
is US Robatics external).

Thanks in advance,
Vladislav