Re: Why is debian "more of a learning curve" than Redhat???

On 19-Jan-1998, George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> wrote:
> I think it is because of the conflict resolution screen and the fact that
> Debian offers more alternatives than Red Hat.   Maybe there are TOO MANY
> alternatives offered for a new install.
>
> Example ... try selecting cnews on a clean instll and it throws you into
> the conflict resolution screen right away.  Red Hat gives you no choice in
> the matter, if you want news transport you get inn.
>
> Newbies also tend to install too much in the initial dselect menu causing
> a lot of time in conflict resolution.  About the only thing I do the
> firstr time through dselect is unselect emacs and select the MTA that I
> want and let the rest of it install from its defaults.  Then I run it a
> second time to change things.  I find that I have a LOT less trouble this
> way.

I suspect a "sensible default" system will fix this. You can probably
expect that future incarnations of dselect (deity) will allow support
for "groupings" of packages, which will have the conflicts already
taken care of. Then you can just say "I'm a newbie, give me a typical
newbie system" and will get a usuable default. Once you're ready, you
can go play with the alternatives.

At the moment, Debian seems to be more popular as a "second system" --
once you've tried a different Linux first, or used other Unix systems
you appreciate and enjoy the flexibility of the Debian system.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of