Re: Two minor hamm bugs

Hi,

I am the maintainer of the Debian samba package so the first part of
this message corresponds to me...

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:

: When installing samba, the script in /etc/init.d has an error at the
: top.  I chose to use inetd and not having it start on boot.  The script
: does a `grep -q blah && exit 0`.  This should be '||' and not '&&'.

No, "grep -q blah && exit 0" is correct.

What happens is the following: the only way I have found so far to
tell whether Samba is running from inetd or as daemons is to examine
/etc/inetd.conf and see if there are entries for netbios-ns (or
netbios-ssn) that aren't commented out.

The script /etc/init.d/samba must detect how Samba is running and if
it is running from inetd it must do nothing, just exit. This is
because Samba will be started automatically by inetd when there is
traffic in UDP ports 137-139.

If you change "grep -q blah && exit 0" to "grep -q blah || exit 0"
then the script _will not_ exit when Samba is running from inetd.
Instead it will continue execution until the end of the file. If this
happens, the script will try to start nmbd and smbd (the Samba
daemons) which is a very risky bussiness because sooner or later they
will be started by inetd.

Also, if you do the above change, Samba won't ever be started by the
script nor inetd if Samba is chosen to be run as daemons. This is because
the script will exit at the very top of the file.

I guess you are reporting this because you chose to run Samba from
inetd but you are not seeing any nmbd or smbd processes running. This
is because inetd hasn't started any yet because there is no traffic at
the UDP ports 137-139.

Oh, by the way, I read this message by lucky change because the
subject did not mention anything about Samba. I would suggest next
time the bug tracking system is used (see www.debian.org/Bugs/) or
write the word "samba" in the subject.

See ya!

E.-