From: Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: brian@debian.org <brian@debian.org>
Date: Monday, January 19, 1998 7:24 AM
Subject: mt setblk fails

I am trying to read data from a DAT tape written on a foreign machine
(probably a Sun).  I use dd to read from it, but invariably get 0 blocks.

I am able to read a tape written by a SCO machine, but the SCO machine
cannot
read a tape I write.

Following the SCSI HOWTO, I tried changing the hardware block size with
`mt setblk 0'.  Any use of `mt setblk' always gives an I/O error.

The HOWTO says that GNU mt does not support this option, and mt -V says that
it is the GNU version.  However the man page lists setblk as an option.
There seems no longer to be mt source at
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/scsi
where the HOWTO says a copy supporting the setblk option may be found.

My DAT drive is a DDS-1 cannibalised from an HP 710 workstation,
model HP35470A Rev 1009 SCSI revision 2.
SCSI card: Adaptec 2940UW

/bin/mt from package cpio version 2.4.2-13
kernel 2.0.32patch5 i686
libc6 2.0.6-2

Is there anything I can do? Is it likely that this drive doesn't support
changing the block size?

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.