Re: squake question

On 18-Jan-1998, Pure Energy <adren@timberwolf.provision.net> wrote:
> HI.. i'm using the squake_1.09-1.1-4.deb paxkage with the
> quake-lib_1.06-4.deb package. i ram it and was able to join a server
> (promply getting killed quickly hehe). I exited and restarted but it now
> complains about not finding a...
>
> 	Model Maps/e2m1.bsp Not Found
>
> once i join a server. anyone know how to fix this? also any help about
> quake in general would be helpful aswell.. i still haven't been able to
> bind the hook either..

This is because the server you are joining is using a registered version
map (e2m1 = Episode 2, Map 1). You can only player episode 1 maps with
the shareware version (you also can't use custom maps and graphics).
Lots of servers just run shareware maps anyway, so it shouldn't stop
you playing very much.

The next time someone tells you what great programmers id software has,
remember that they couldn't be bothered writing a better error message
than this. I can't begin to imagine how many shareware players decided
that it was buggy software because half the servers they joined gave
them this ridiculous error message. I've run a quake servers list for
over a year, and it's *still* the number one question I get.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of