Re: How do I find out what version of ebian is on a machine?

On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 08:10:36AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	All ths talk of libc5 to libc6 upgrades gotme thnking about upgarding.
> 	Since it matters at this point in time for upgradeing, how do I
> 	determine what version of Debian is on a given machine?

There is probably no such thing like a debian version, because Debian
consists of seperate packages, and each of them has an own version number.

This gives finer graduation and makes it easier to fix parts of the system.

Well, there are major stable releases, where we try to put together a stable
system, where all packages fit nicely together. The last one was Debian
1.3.1, which some revisions that followed.

You can get an idea of your version of Debian if you compare the version
numbers of the essential packages. There is also a file /etc/debian_version,
but this does not really reflect the version of the system as a whole. It
says something like: "Hey, the last major upgrade leaded to this version".

Hope this helps,
Marcus