Re: Using Debian with lots of users

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> Wait ... Fetchmail is for pulling mail FROM individual pop3 email boxes
> from a remote host to the local host.  If he is using that, he is having
> to keep track of 1000 different user passwords at the remote ISP.

I'm not sure what he's using at the moment, but I don't think it's Debian.
Fetchmail has a ETRN option, which tells the remote host to send all
outstanding mail addressed to the local host. I'm not sure if he's using
this or a uucp type one (probably uucp actually).

> Do yourself a favor and install poppassd on your system and let your users
> set their own password if they use Eudora.  It save you a lot of admin
> time.

I was thinking along those lines, although they've already installed
Pegasus (works with the Novell server they have.

> Better find out more about exactly what he is doing before trying to tell
> him how to do it :)

Yeah! I just wanted an idea of what was involved. I've got my own home
system working, but that only has three users!

> 400 Meg / 1000 people is what ... 400K for each person.

Hmm. Didn't really think of this :-)
Might be able to use space on the Novell server if needed.

Thanks heaps,

Tim.

---
Debian/GNU Linux... the maintainable operating system. http://www.debian.org