Re: Digests/Newsfeed?

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Tim Thomson wrote:

> We actually have linux.debian.user on our local news server, but it is
> very incomplete - ie. 6 messages in the last month!

Eeesh.  Yeah, that is very incomplete :)

> I don't have uucp installed at the moment. I want to give it a try though!
> I'm on a dial-up ppp connection that is behind a firewall - I can't use
> standard nntp to access remote news servers. With uucp I can? Would I need
> a permanent connection?

One quick way to tell is to try to telnet on the uucp port to my server, I
will send you the address in private email. When you connect to grab your
news, it is by username/password login before the uucp session starts so
no, you do not need a static IP.  You WILL need some kind of news server.
Some kind of rnews command will be required on your system.  I suggest
cnews for small systems. Inn is a resource hog that is best left to
dedicated systems (thoush some use it on desktop machines).

I do not know for sure but I think leafnode will provide an rnews
command.  rnews simply takes the uucp batch and drops in in your incoming
news area.

> I really want to get this to work, as I'm only on a free email account,
> this list seems to them down and I don't want to do that!
> I've unsubscribed (or soon will).
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> -Tim.
>
> ---