LILO installation problems with SyJet disk

My system has three UW SCSI HDDs on an Adaptec 2940UW controller.  In
addition, I have a SyQuest SyJet on /dev/hda, and a 12X CD-ROM on
/dev/hdc.  When I install LILO to /dev/sda1, it detects the SyJet and
tells me that it can't boot off a second HDD.  However, the BIOS quite
sensibly does boot off the SCSI disk rather than the SyJet, since I
have the boot order set to "SCSI, C:, A:".  Still, after I install
LILO this way and reboot, it just hangs after printing `LI' (IIRC).

But, if I shut down the computer and pull out the IDE cable for the
SyJet, then boot (from a rescue disk), install LILO, shut down,
reinsert the IDE cable, and boot, LILO works fine.

Is there some way to tell LILO that I can indeed boot from /dev/sda
even though I have a /dev/hda?

My lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda2