Re: Digests/Newsfeed?

On 17 Jan 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> I thought that we had made the policy decision a few months ago that
> the Debian lists were not to be gatewayed to Usenet?  Perhaps I recall
> incorrectly.

There was a discussion concerning ONE list that I recall.

> Or do you just mean that you're using news software as a more
> efficient way of distributing the list?  I'm a little confused by what
> you say.

Much more efficient.  It is a LOT easier to follow the lists with a
newsreader than with a mail reader.  All users on the system read from one
common set of messages, no duplicate copy in each mailbox. The messages
are compressed for transmission, they expire after a configurable period
of time, etc.  It is simply a MUCH more efficient use of resources.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org