Problems with 80386 and 4 MB of RAM

Hi,

I've got some problems with Linux and my little test-computer. Im
struggling with the low amount of memory (only 4 MB). The complete
configuration:

80386 with 40 Mhz
4 MB of RAM
1.6 GByte HD
1.44 FD
VGA-card (something like a Trident)
Intel EtherExpress PRO
+ a monitor + a keyboard :-)

I'm trying to set it up with Debian/Linux to work as a Server for my
Win95-PC. Well at least, I'm trying to...

I've got three main problems:

[  1  ]	L I L O

  At startup it only says:

  3FA:

  It just stops there. :-(
  My partition-table by fdisk:

---- [start] ----

Disk /dev/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 827 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1            1        1       25    50368+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2           26       26       29     8064   81  Linux/MINIX
/dev/hda3   *       30       30       45    32256   83  Linux native
/dev/hda4           46       46      827  1576512    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           46       46      260   433408+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda6          261      261      281    42304+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda7          282      282      827  1100704+  83  Linux native

---- [end] ----

  And my /etc/lilo.conf:

--- [start] ---

boot=/dev/hda3
root=/dev/hda3
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
read-only

--- [end] ---

  Later I changed boot=/dev/hda3 to boot=/dev/hda. Now LILO starts and
types "LI":

The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot loader,
but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a geometry
mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.

  So what do I have to do now?
  In the moment I'm starting with my start-disk.

[  2  ]    N E T W O R K

  I already posted my network problem (to the wrong address ...):

--- [start] ---

> I'd like to install my ethernet card (Intel EtherExpress PRO LAN Adapter
> with Flash). But when I try to install the module eepro it gives me this
> message:
>
> -- snip --

> /lib/modules/2.0.29/net/eepro.o init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> Installation failed.
>
> -- snip --
>
> What am I doing wrong?? When I try to change to change the io-port or
> interrupt it still fails. By the way, I'm trying to do this on a 386 with
> only 4 Megs of RAM, but that doesn't seem to be it, does it?
>
> Can someone help me with this?
> P.S. I am not currently subscribed to this list (only getting the
digested
> stuff), so please CC any responses to fknittel@sparkasse.net. That would
be
> really nice. Thanks in advance.
> P.P.S I'm a beginner in Linux... :)

--- [end] ---
comment: I'm back in the list...

  In addition here is my /etc/init.d/network

--- [start] ---

#!	/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

--- [end] ---

[  3  ]    R E S C U E  -  S T A R T U P

   If I use the rescue-disk (I'm not using it in the moment) to start and
type

linux root=/dev/hda3

  the boot-up takes VERY long. In the end it just says

could not fork, trying again...

  I've never seen another message after this one yet, because I don't realy
  think it's fun to wait for 2 hours...
  So this method doesn't work. But when I type

rescue root=/dev/hda3

  it boots normaly (and fast...). Is there a functional difference between
  the two methods or can I use the rescue command with no problems?

If you need some more information, no problem...

I think, this is enough for the start ;-)
I realy hope someone can help me with my problems.

- Fabian

P.S. I hope I'm posting to the correct address now... it's the 3rd try...
everytime I added some more information :-)
P.P.S Please excuse any 'errors' in my language. I'm not a native english
speaker...