Re: subscribe

Sten Anderson wrote:

> Rick Jones <rickya@siservices.net> writes:
>
> > You're 100% right.  I would, however, assume it means a Linux extended
> > (type 85) partition not a DOS extended partition (type 5).
>
> Now I am confused. What is the difference?

You got me.  Could it be a difference in the way the boot sector and
partition table are constructed and read?  There's a problem creating
DOS 6x partitions with Linux fdisk, although Linux is more versitile, I
would think it needs it's own partition info to work correctly, unless
it's umsdos.

> When you say "make root FS an extended partition" you really mean a
> logical partition dont you? (You cannot put a filesystem on an extended
> partition).

As I saud, it was a while ago.  When I was messing with using lilo to
boot multi-os's, like 2 years ago.  I remember an issue with extended
partitions which is probably a given that logical partitions is meant
since they go hand in hand.

Seems to me that DOS fdisk wouldn't make the linux partition bootable if
it wasn't a primary partition and it also wouldn't recognise the
bootable flag set by Linux fdisk.  Something like that.

> I also vaguely remember debates on this issue. IIRC the conclusion was
> that to Linux there is no difference. All Linux needs to know is where
> the partitions begins and ends. The distinction between logical and
> physical partitions only matters to the bootloader (and hey, it works
> for me!).

That's the bottom line.  If it works, and you don't get filesystem
contamination, go with it.

> The only reason to use extended partitions is that most OS's don't
> like more than 4 partitions. Like I said above, Linux doesn't care if
> the partitions are logical or physical.

I understand this.  I use a primary DOS (VFAT), primary Linux, and
extended Linux, not DOS, if I need an extended partition.  So I've never
thought of using Linux on a DOS partition, other than umsdos, and have
no idea if it's good for another use or not so I asked.