Re: PS/2 mouse setup; /dev/mouse?

On 16 Jan 1998, William R Ward wrote:

> Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu> writes:
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> > > The XF86 config file points to /dev/mouse, which is a link to a serial
> > > port, but, my mouse is not on S0/S1.
> > the correct PS/2 mouse port is /dev/psaux.
> >
> > > How should /dev/mouse be setup for this, in windows it is a separate port
> > > at IRQ 12.
> > use /dev/psaux and it'll be taken care of automatically.  You might do
> >
> > rm /dev/mouse
> > ln -s /dev/psax /dev/mouse
> >
> > to make a new /dev/mouse link that points to /dev/psaux,  and then use
> > /dev/mouse instead of /dev/psaux.  That way if for some reason you ever
> > need to use a serial mouse,  you can just change the link rather than
> > reconfiguring every piece of software that uses the mouse.
>
> My system has a /dev/psmouse that is the same device as /dev/psaux as
> far as I can tell...
>
> I have a PS/2 port on the motherboard (it's an Intel TX chipset board)
> and I tried hooking my Logitech trackball to it but it managed to make
> the computer very upset -- the keyboard locked up!  Also when I tried
> to start X without the mouse plugged in - but with it configured to
> use /dev/psmouse - it wouldn't start.  Both times I had to log in over
> the ethernet and fix the problem by rebooting (keyboard lockup) or
> killing the X processes (mouse problem).
>
> Anyone get this to work?  I'd like to be able to hook up a terminal to
> the serial port that i've been using for mouse.
>
> --Bill.
>
> --
> William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
> hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072
> wrw@bayview.com       Santa Cruz CA 95060 USA           pager +1 408/458-8862
>  PGP Key 0x2BD331E5; Public key at http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/pubkey.txt
>

> --

	I have a Logitech Marble, attached to PS/2 port in a Gigabyte
GA-586 ATX w/ i430 TX chipset, working nicely w/ Debian 1.3.1. No
/dev/psmouse, just psaux. Try gpm on /dev/psaux and w/ ps2 mouse protocol
selected.

	Have you installed ps/2 support in kernel?

	Once you get it work, perhaps you might want to speed it up the
trackball. With gpm i use a responsiveness of 30, and with X, xset m 6 3.
I have to thank people in debian-user for the last set (it was my first
post to this list :.)

	I have read somewhere that it's not adviseable the use of symlinks
to devices such as modems or mouse ports, due locking conflicts. If a
process uses and locks /dev/ttyS0, and you have a symlink modem->ttyS0 and
try to use it, as far as i know, the locking name will be different, so it
can conflict <correct me if i am wrong, please>.

Have fun!

--
Pancho Horrillo
pancho@jet.es