Re: PS/2 mouse setup; /dev/mouse?

Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu> writes:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> > The XF86 config file points to /dev/mouse, which is a link to a serial
> > port, but, my mouse is not on S0/S1.
> the correct PS/2 mouse port is /dev/psaux.
>
> > How should /dev/mouse be setup for this, in windows it is a separate port
> > at IRQ 12.
> use /dev/psaux and it'll be taken care of automatically.  You might do
>
> rm /dev/mouse
> ln -s /dev/psax /dev/mouse
>
> to make a new /dev/mouse link that points to /dev/psaux,  and then use
> /dev/mouse instead of /dev/psaux.  That way if for some reason you ever
> need to use a serial mouse,  you can just change the link rather than
> reconfiguring every piece of software that uses the mouse.

My system has a /dev/psmouse that is the same device as /dev/psaux as
far as I can tell...

I have a PS/2 port on the motherboard (it's an Intel TX chipset board)
and I tried hooking my Logitech trackball to it but it managed to make
the computer very upset -- the keyboard locked up!  Also when I tried
to start X without the mouse plugged in - but with it configured to
use /dev/psmouse - it wouldn't start.  Both times I had to log in over
the ethernet and fix the problem by rebooting (keyboard lockup) or
killing the X processes (mouse problem).

Anyone get this to work?  I'd like to be able to hook up a terminal to
the serial port that i've been using for mouse.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072