Re: statically linked ls ???

"Xavier Bergade" <xavier@rocketfuel.com> writes:

> I'd need a statically linked ls (ie no need of lib/ld-linux.so.1  and
> lib/libc.so.5)
>
> Is there any binary already available?
> If not how can I do it myself? (I have the fileutils source tar)
>
> thanx.

Here's instructions based on what I did to build this:

Unpack the fileutils source tar with dpkg-source or tar, whatever you
prefer.  Then,
  cd fileutils-3.16
  ./configure
  (cd intl; make libintl.a)
  (cd lib; make libfu.a)
  cd src
  perl -pie 's/^ls_LDFLAGS.*$/$& -static/' Makefile
  ## Or, if you don't like cryptic perl statements instead just edit the
  ## Makefile and find the line that begins with 'ls_LDFLAGS' and add
  ## '-static' to it.
  make ls

There may be a configure option to compile static binaries, but I
couldn't find one.  What's annoying is that you have to edit a line in
the Makefile for each program you want built statically. This would
seem to defeat some of the reasons for having variables inside a
Makefile.