Re: Xauthority

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> An update on the Xauthority problem 8-)
>
> On a wild idea, I commented out any references to initializing XAUTHORITY
> anywhere in the system. Lo and behold, xauth worked and I now have good
> .Xauthority files for root and other users! I did logout all users to reset
> all the enviroment variables before using 'xauth'.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug?

I don't know why it is behaving like that. Could you post the exact lines
to this list? Then somebody can have a look at them.

> BTW, now xdm won't finish booting for any user other than root. I get the
> initial Xserver screen, then return to login.

That might be caused by the .xsession file in root's home directory or by
/etc/X11/Xsession if the former does not exist. Take a look at them. You
can also try to remove the .Xauthority file and log in again.

Remco