CDROM mount locking up

Hi,
I am having trouble with a Mitsumi CDROM, that is connected to a Mad16
card (software configurable).
When mounting a disk, the mount seems to lock up. I think this is because
I haven't set it up properly yet.
What I'm wondering is, is there a way to kill off the mount?
It halts after saying something about the disk is write protected, so it's
mounted read only.
I can't kill the mount, but if I shutdown the system, it can't unmount
root, as it's busy.

Is it possible to kill this mount, cause it's a pain not been able to
cleanly unmount the hard drive. It may take me some time to work out what
I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help,

Tim.

---