Re: Whiney little request

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Richard Wicks wrote:

> P.S.  I've just installed debian (good riddance to slackware) and beleive I
>       encountered a bug when trying to install netscape.  Did anybody else
>       have a similar problem?  I kept getting an error where dselect told
>       me that the the netscape.tar.gz file should be in my /tmp directory.
>       Does this sound familar to anybody?  In anycase, netscape did not install
>       so I picked it up from the netscape website via lynx.

The netscape package that comes with debian is only an installer/wrapper.
Before you install it, you need to have the netscape tarball in /tmp (or
$TEMPDIR).

Besides installing the netscape binaries in the right places and
registering it to the package management system, the debian package also
provides a wrapper for netscape to ensure that it doesn't crash because of
version conflicts with your system libraries.

Cheers,

Joost