Re: SEUL: Re: SEUL distribution?

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

: On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 AJT60@student.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:
:
: >  This was just what I was about to suggest. It would be awkward if
: > SEUL users had to go to a different packaging system for packages not
: > available in SEUL. In effect it would become a kind of Debian-lite,
: > (or, dare I say it, a Red Hat-lite or whichever distribution you feel
: > is most suited to the goals of SEUL).
:
: This has already been discussed and decided.  We will be basing the
: initial distribution off of Red Hat; we will be using RPM packages; our
: packages will not be installation- compatible with either Red Hat or
: Debian.

Ok, so what does this have to do with Debian then?

: The whole point of SEUL is to get away from fighting with the package
: manager, package versions, etc.  InstallShield is the closest thing to a
: model we have right now, but we want to address a number of its flaws as
: well.

Neat.  I hope you get it working, but until then we do have a working
package system here on debian-user.  We call it dpkg.

: In particular, we want to not have to fool with Red Hat and Debian's
: tendency to upgrade before things are completely stable in an attempt to
: stay "up to date".  This is not Yet Another Linux Distribution.  It has
: different goals from either Red Hat OR Debian.  SEUL is not intended to be
: either the most up to date or the most advanced or even the most powerful.
: It is designed to be simple to use.  To this end, many of Red Hat's
: packages will be left out, the system will not use Red Hat's installation
: tools, and it will generally not behave like Red Hat at all.  It will look
: more like Windows than anything else.

Hmm, well, you must not read the Debian lists then :)  There's been a
lot of sniping recently about 1.3.1 (bo) _NOT_ being kept up to date.
Most users seem to prefer "up to date" whether they need it or not.

Since you enjoy pointing out that SEUL is neither RedHat nor Debian,
I'll ask again what this has to do with Debian.  We have a high traffic
list - adding non-Debian disccusions to this list, while entertaining
and enlightening, does nothing to further the goal of this list:
Helping Debian Users.

I'm not saying your project is unimportant.  I am saying that its
discussion doesn't belong here.

: >  The other thing I'd suggest is picking one mail transfer agent and
: > sticking with it. I had more trouble configuring mail than anything
:
: We will be using Sendmail (which is the only one we can distribute easily)
: and probably procmail for mail deliver.  This is what red hat uses and we
: won't change it unless we need to.

No comment :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104