Re: problem w/sound

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> won't work.  The player starts and I hear a *click* from the speakers but
That's the sound module being inserted by kerneld -- it gets inserted when
you try to play a sound,  and removed when you haven't played one in a
while.

> no sound.  I have changed the permissions on /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, and
> /dev/mixer to 666 but still nothing.  Am I missing a symbolic link or
1) Add yourself to group "audio" with "adduser yourusername audio"

2) Here are the permissions on my /dev sound files:
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   4 Jun 30  1997 /dev/audio
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 30  1997 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   0 Jun 30  1997 /dev/mixer

> something?  Oh yeah, I have also tried 'cat ch > /dev/audio' (where ch is
Try this as root?

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |