Re: What about a "Linux" key?

Enrico Zini <enricoz@arci02.bo.cnr.it> writes:

> Hello PC users!
>
> What about putting a penguin sticker on top of those "Window 95"
> keys on all new keyboards ?
>
> [some parts deleted]
>
> Their scancodes are already seen by Linux, but I could not find any
> way to bind them to a modifier (it seems there are no extra
> modifiers to use). Also, I'm not good enough to fiddle with
> xmodmap. Anyway I have been successfull in binding the menu-like
> thing to compose: "echo keycode 127 = Compose | loadkeys".
>
> Is there a way to have a new modifier or we need to hack kernel? How
> is Linux doing on a Sun, since they have plenty of extra keys and
> modifiers?

At least in X11 you can easily use the windows keys as new modifier.
I configured the left on as left Alt (my Alt key is Meta) and the
right one as menu.  The menu key is defined as multikey, aka compose):

  keycode 0x73 = Alt_L
  keycode 0x74 = Menu
  keycode 0x75 = Multi_key

  clear Shift
  clear Lock
  clear Control
  clear Mod1
  clear Mod2
  clear Mod3
  clear Mod4
  clear Mod5

  add    Shift   = Shift_L Shift_R
  add    Lock    = Caps_Lock
  add    Control = Control_L Control_R
  add    Mod1    = Meta_L
  add    Mod2    = Num_Lock
  add    Mod3    = Mode_switch
  add    Mod4    = Alt_L Alt_R

The above lines are from my .Xmodmap.

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie