Re: exporting xauth

Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu> writes:
>
> > After the last round of questions & posts on the topic, I've found
> > that I can stably export xauthority by
> >
> > xauth list $DISPLAY
> >
> > and pasting from MIT on to
> >
> > xauth add $DISPLAY <pastehere>
> >
> > is there a way to pass this information automatically?
> > particularly, it doesn't pass to su, and I'd also like to pass it to
> > telnet when connecting to remote machines
>
> I've seen lots of messages about using ssh.  The xauth man page has the
> command:
>
>   xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth merge -

> This works fine for me, although I change $DISPLAY to machine:0.  On my
> local machine the DISPLAY is just :0, so this doesn't get extracted or
> merged (I don't know which) in a usable form for the remote machine.

That's great if it works for you. Many system administrators disable (or
rather, don't enable) rsh access because it is *very* insecure. You have to
set DISPLAY to machine:0 because :0 uses 'unix domain' sockets while you
access your X server remotely using tcp/ip. The xclient looks up the cookie
according to the display it is trying to reach, so even though you have the
right cookie (it's the same for 'unix domain' or regular sockets) it can't
be looked up.

> Speaking of ssh, is deity supposed to make it easier to use multiple
> ftp sites?  Currently pgp-us is listed as obsolete/local by dselect.
> Or am I running the update incorrectly?  I've been clearing the list of
> available packages when dselect suggested I do so.

dunno.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com