Re: Lilo ?

Ian Keith Setford writes:

> Yo-
>
> I have Debian running fine on my first hard drive (/dev/hda) and I wish
> to add another disk and install Win95 on it (bummer).  My DOS/Windows boot
> disks will not allow me to install Win on the second drive(/dev/hdc).
> Error message says, "Remove NTFS or Disk cache...before continuing."  The
> drive is formatted for DOS and is empty so I am at a loss.
>
> Any help/suggestion greatly appreciated!
>
> -Ian

You most likely will have to do some hardware shuffling. From your message, I
gather that you have a CDRom Drive as /dev/hdb. Most OS'es prefer hard drives
to be sequential on an IDE bus (DOS: C,D,E; LINUX: hda,hdb,hdc) with any CDRom
drives afterward. I suggest that you map your second hard drive as /dev/hdb
and put the CDRom drive as /dev/hdc. SCSI bus based stuff is a different
ballgame. When you install Win95/DOS, it should ignore the first drive and be
happy with the second drive. Worse case, temporarily disable the first drive
and make the second drive look like the only drive in the system. Install
WIn95/DOS and then put the hard drives as you want them and use LILO to manage
the boot up.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL