Odd cache problem.

I have an old 386 motherboard that someone said I could not get Linux
running on.  They might be right.  I can get everything installed and it
will run fine as long as I have cache disabled.  I have replaced the cache
chips with brand new without any change in the problem.

Here is what happens:

It will boot, it will do EVERYTHING until it waits for keyboard input for
what appears to be about 45-60 seconds.  If I do not type anything, it
will lock up.  If I hold a key down, it will never lock up.  It never
locks up while the command shell is busy doing something.  If it is
sitting waiting for input, however, it will lock solid.

What does Linux do with cache while it is waiting for keyboard input?

Note, this is a 386DX40 running Award BIOS.  It is an AMD chip but
disabling cache has the board running fine ... albeit at 2 bogomips :(
2.0.29 kernel from stable with 20MB of RAM

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org