bad disk spot, and more troubles starting xdm

grr.  After two years, i finally had a real crash.  By this point, I was
suspicious enough to wipe the disk--there had been plenty of heat freezes
before I got the coooling in.  Even got a kernel panic.

Anyway, about 60% of the way through formatting the / partition, the drive
ground for a while, much like a floppy read, then went on.  I assume it found
a bad spot.  But how do i check to make sure it recorded this?

Also, I don't seem to have xdm working again.  I have the lines

# font server configuration file
# $XConsortium: config.cpp,v 1.7 91/08/22 11:39:59 rws Exp $

clone-self = on
use-syslog = off
allow-user-xsession
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/us
/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
onts/100dpi/
error-file = /var/lib/xfs/xfs-errors
# in decipoints
default-point-size = 120
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100
xfs-start-server
start-xfs
xdm-start-server
start-xdm

for /etc/X11/config, and /etc/X11/XF86Config is sufficient that startx works
as expected.

however, no xdm is started on boot, and
  /etc/init.d/xdm start

merely starts an idle process that does nothing.

help!

rick

p.s.

I also can't start in other than 8bpp; attempting 16 just gives me 8, and 24
gives me an unusable screen.  I really don't need them much, save that i run
staroffice4 in 16, as it's a color hog.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.