Re: Good Soundcard

> On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 06:29:14PM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > Can anybody recommend a sound card based upon the following criteria:
> >
> > * Compatability with Linux
> > * SBPro compatability
> > * Sound Quality
> > * Price
>
> Try to get a SB 32, but stay away from SB 64!
>
> Reason:
>
> The SB32 does work fine with the awe patch to the kernel (available as
> Debian package).
>
> The SB64 will work , too, but only as a SB32 (because the additional 32 are
> windoze driver only).

This is true, but there are some distinctions between the two cards which
you should know about (the people you talk to on the phone don't always
know, as I've found).  The SB 64 Gold (not the cheap SB 64) has better
shielding, better connectors, and potentially more memory (though the
basic SB 64 can carry up to 8 M).  These things are probably only of
interest to you if you are trying to record music or something like that.