netscape & acroread plugin?

Does anyone have netscape & the acroread plugin working together?  On my
setup, when you try to open a pdf file on the web, acroread will die as
soon as the splash screen comes up, leaving netscape with the message "an
error occured" or something not too useful of a message.  Essentially, it
appears that acroread isn't waiting for the data to stream in on the
network (unable to open the data pipe?).

If you try to open a pdf on the hard disk (local) via netcape, it works
though.

If you have the plugin working, did you have to do anything special?

I also tried configuring it as a helper program, but netcsape refuses to
even run that -- instead, it insists on saving application/pdf to disk,
even though I have the helper program configured as "acroread %s"

Thanks....