Re: compiling gnome-0.11?

Heikki Vatiainen <hessu@cs.tut.fi> writes:

> I have not compiled Gnome myself but your Makefile seems to lack -lXpm even
> though it's needed.
>
> Brian K Servis writes:
>
> [cut]
> > Now I am getting this error:
> >
> > /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2  -o htmltest  test.o
> > ../gtk-xmhtml/libgtkxmhtml.la -lgtk -lgdk -lglib -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> > -lX11  -lXext -lSM -lICE -lz -ljpeg
> > gcc -g -O2 -o _libs/htmltest test.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> > ../gtk-xmhtml/_libs/libgtkxmhtml.so -lgtk -lgdk -lglib -lm
> > -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lSM -lICE -lz -ljpeg
>                                                       ^^^^^^^^
> It looks like there are references to the Xpm library but you do not have
> -lXpm among the libraries to use. Try fixing the Makefile and adding -lXpm
> after -ljpeg. Also, if the Xpm library is in /usr/local/lib you need
> -L/usr/local/lib before -lXpm. You probably knew it but I sometimes manage to
> forget
> the -L flag :)

I was having exactly same problems as Brian. So I did
./configure --with-gnu-gettext as Brian suggested.

After that I edited gtk-xmhtml/Makefile changing
line XPM_LIBS = to XPM_LIBS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm.

That wasn't enough though. I had to copy directory
intl to programs directory. This could also
be corrected by editing Makefile I think,
but I was too lazy and tired.

Still not enough. Now it complains about
missing dlfcn.h and I have no idea which
packet it is related to. Didn't much help
to remove #include <dlfcn.h> because
it is needed.

Should I wait for next release or does anyone
have any ideas left? Is there anyone who has
succeeded compiling gnome-0.11?
--
The discerning person is always at a disadvantage.