Re: samba -- how?

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> I would like to set up samba to my winders machine at work. Is this
> possible?  What permissions do I need? Would it be easier to simply
> setup a ftp server on it?

Do you mean a samba server or client on the Linux box?
Both are possible as I use both on my system.

To install the client, you need to recompile your kernel, saying yes to
the SMB filesystem. You also need to install the package ksmbfs, which has
the mount and unmount programs. You would need a username and password
on the server to be able to mount the drives onto your system.

To install the server, you only need to install the package samba, and
configure it. I found it reasonably easy to setup, but I have a simple
setup here.

An ftp server on the Linux box is easy to setup, you need an account for
everyone who is going to connect to it, or you can you wu-ftp, and use
anonymous ftp.
An ftp server on the Win machines is possible, there are various ones
available, some shareware ones you could try.

Hope this helps,

Tim.

---
Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org