Re: Debian 2.0?

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Mike Garfias wrote:

> Any idea when 2.0 will be out?  I'm tempted to start playing with the
> unstable release, but was hoping to avoid that.  I'm just sick of
> having to download and compile all the packages that available for
> glibc (which I don't have).

2.0 will be released when it's ready :-)

But that doesn't mean you have to wait.

The good news is that "unstable" is stable enough to use now (imo it has
been stable enough since around august). if you don't mind the odd bit of
minor weirdness (e.g. xload has temporarily disappeared) then go ahead and
upgrade to unstable. follow the instructions in Scott Ellis' mini-HOWTO or
use the auto upgrade script which was posted to debian-user yesterday.

the howto is at:
	http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html

read this, and then download scott's autoup "package" (which contains my
upgrade script and all the required packages in one 6.7MB tar.gz file)
from:

	http://stormcrow.ml.org/pub/debian/autoup/
OR
	ftp://stormcrow.ml.org/pub/debian/autoup/

the auto upgrade script will safely upgrade libc5, and install libc6 plus
the new libc6 versions of libreadline, ncurses, bash, dpkg and perl.  Once
that's done, you can use dselect to upgrade the reset of the packages in
your system.

*ALL* of the old -dev and -dbg development packages will have been
uninstalled (in order to get libc5 & 6 installed), so you will have to
re-install them if you need to do any development work.

WARNING NOTE:
-------------

If you want to upgrade your own personal workstation then go ahead and
do it, there is little to lose. if you want to upgrade a production
server then get some experience with the bo to hamm upgrade on an
unimportant machine (i always upgrade my workstation and my network at
home before i upgrade any of my servers at work as a test run) before
deciding whether to upgrade the server or not.

Once you've got your system upgrade to unstable, you may want to run
dselect and do an upgrade once every week or two. unstable is called
unstable because it's a moving target (on any given day, the snapshot
of unstable in the ftp archive may or may not install cleanly) not
because it is necessarily more likely to crash your machine.

BTW, if you do decide to upgrade to unstable, remember to take notes and
post your experiences to debian-testing@lists.debian.org.

Craig

--
craig sanders