Re: PPP problem

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, OSWALD jean wrote:

> I have set the ppp debian package
> My modem is responding when I use minicom
> I have completed the /etc/ppp/options file properly.
> And when I run the command pppd the kernel answers
> "Sorry - Lack of PPP in your kernel"
>
> Or when I type "dmesh | grep PPP" I have no answer

Did you mean dmesg?  If so, you should see something like:

PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
PPP line discipline registered.

> What shall I do to activate the PPP daemon ?

Are you invoking PPP as root?  This came up quite recently and does
actually not necessarily indicate a problem with the kernel, but possibly
with permissions.

On the other hand, possibly PPP support has not been compiled into your
kernel. You can check /usr/src/linux/.config for CONFIG_PPP=y.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen