Modem problem

I recently installed Debian Linux and I am now trying to get the modem
working.

The modem is installed and works under Win95 using Com 2, irq 3, 2F8, it is
a pnp capable modem but I have configured it using the jumpers provided.

I followed the ppp instructions in "The Debian Linux User's Guide" by
Dale Scheetz but I was unable to get any response from the modem.

I ran setserial and received:

/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/cua1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3, Flags: spd_vhi

I don't know what to try next.

Jack