Re: menu in fvwm?

> Dear Maintainer,
>
> I tried asking this on debian-user but I didn't get any responses.

That's very strange. Maybe debian-devel might have given you
more responces, but I would have thought debian-user would be able
to answer this one.
> Is it
> possible to get menu's from the menu package in fvwm?

Yes.

> I'd like to verify
> that packages correctly create their menu's (I'm in the Debian Testing
> Group), but I have not had any success in getting it to work with my
> window manager.

The thing is to get a /etc/menu-methods/fvwm file. You can find an
example in /usr/doc/menu/examples/fvwm, or, if you use the "new"
menu version (1.3 or higher, I believe), you can try the one I've
included at the end of this message.

Oh, and due to some strangeness in fvwm, you also need to do
  cp /usr/doc/menu/examples/system.fvwmrc /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc

(I think the system.fvwmrc file in the examples dir is uptodate enough)

> If not, which managers are supported?

All window managers, except gwm are supported (that's quite a few
window managers that are supported). I should file a bug against fvwm
some day, as it seems to be one of the last window managers that
still don't come with menu by default (or optional).

#!/usr/sbin/install-menu
#I need menu-1!
#
#NOTE: the first line of this script _must_ be
# equal to "#!/usr/sbin/install-menu", otherwise update-menus
# will feed this script old-compat-mode data.
#
#More info: /usr/doc/menu/README.
#
compat="menu-1"
supported
  fvwmmodule="  Exec    \"" $title "\"      " $command "\n"
  wm=        "  Restart \"" $title "\"      " $command "\n"
  x11fvwm=  "  Exec    \"" $title "\" exec " $command "\n"
  x11=       "  Exec    \"" $title "\" exec " $command "\n"
  text=      "  Exec    \"" $title "\" exec   /usr/bin/X11/xterm -T \""\
              $title "\" -e " $command "&\n"
endsupported
startmenu=   "PopUp \"" $section "\"\n"
endmenu=     "EndPopUp\n"
submenutitle="  Popup \"" $title cond_surr($icon,"%","%") "\""\
              $section "\n"
genmenu=      "menudefs.hook"
rcfile=       "system.fvwmrc"
examplercfile="system.fvwmrc-menu"
rootprefix="/etc/X11/fvwm/"
userprefix=".fvwm/"
mainmenutitle="DebianMenu"

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

Potentially offensive files, part 5: /dev/random.
`head -c 4 /dev/random` may print 4-letter words (once every approx 4e8 tries).