Re: Unable to open initial console

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Jess Stryker wrote:

: About every 1 out of 3 times my computer boots I get
: a message that says something to the effect of:
: "Unable to open an initial console"
: and the boot process stops.  I'm not familiar enough
: with the boot process to know what might be causing
: this and was unable to find anything helpful in the
: booting Howto.  Does anyone have any advice for me?
: It's not a major problem, just annoying.

Hmm, sounds familiar.  I'm sure someone will come up with a solution,
but I'll try to remember what my solution was.

:
: Information that may be related (?) or may indicate
: a completely separate problem:
:
: Two error messages always appear  in the kernels boot
: records:
:
: "Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI Card!"   I don't
: have any SCSI drives on this computer (to my knowledge!).

This is a device compiled into the stock kernel.  Either roll your own
kernel, or use a boot parameter to avoid probing the controller.

:
: "PPA: unable to initialise controller at 0x378, error 2"
: What is PPA?

I believe this is the parallel port access for a ZIP drive.  Same as
above ... if you don't need it, get rid of it.

For what it's worth, i routinely end up with a kernel that's about 62%
the size of the stock kernel after i recompile. One a small machine that
might make a difference.

:
: Hardware is:
: DFI G586-IPV motherboard with Intel 430VX 512K and
: AMD-K5 PR90 CPU.  Award bios.
: 16 mb EDO 60ns
: Very old Maxtor 213MD hard drive

Hey, that's more power than my dialup server!! <grin>

:
: Hopefully that's too much information, but better too
: much than too little!!?
:
: Thanks very much for your assistance!
:
: Jess Stryker
:
: --
: Free Irrigation Tutorials on Design, Installation, and More!
:                 ------  Visit them at:  ------
:              http://www.netyard.com/jsa/index.html

--
Nathan Norman