Unable to open initial console

About every 1 out of 3 times my computer boots I get
a message that says something to the effect of:
"Unable to open an initial console"
and the boot process stops.  I'm not familiar enough
with the boot process to know what might be causing
this and was unable to find anything helpful in the
booting Howto.  Does anyone have any advice for me?
It's not a major problem, just annoying.

Information that may be related (?) or may indicate
a completely separate problem:

Two error messages always appear  in the kernels boot
records:

"Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI Card!"   I don't
have any SCSI drives on this computer (to my knowledge!).

"PPA: unable to initialise controller at 0x378, error 2"
What is PPA?

Hardware is:
DFI G586-IPV motherboard with Intel 430VX 512K and
AMD-K5 PR90 CPU.  Award bios.
16 mb EDO 60ns
Very old Maxtor 213MD hard drive

Hopefully that's too much information, but better too
much than too little!!?

Thanks very much for your assistance!

Jess Stryker

--
Free Irrigation Tutorials on Design, Installation, and More!
                ------  Visit them at:  ------