Re: Increasing DOS partition

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Bill Wohler wrote:

>   I totally repartitioned the disks although I left /dev/sda1 as the
>   DOS partition, only bigger. cfdisk in Linux showed the increased
>   partition size, fdisk on a DOS boot floppy was also happy, but a
>   "dir" in DOS showed the old size, and a "format /s" also formatted
>   based upon the old size.  One other hint: when I mount the partition
>   from Linux, it also shows the old size.
>
>   Any tips as to how I can format (or whatever) the DOS partition so
>   that the OSs recognize the entire partition?  And hopefully do this
>   without destroying all my work on the other partitions.

is it a 12-bit FAT partition or 16-bit FAT partition?  12-bit FATs can't go
beyond 32MB in size (could be wrong on the 32mb, but it's around that).

try changing the partition type in linux fdisk to 16-bit FAT.  otherwise,
delete the partition with DOS FDISK and recreate it before formatting.

as with anything involving the partition table, it is a good idea to backup
your important data first.  this is especially true if you use MS code (like
DOS' FDISK.EXE) to do it.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract