xfs doesn't seem to be working

As near as I can tell, x is not using xfs.  This is a poor little 486/33, and
the documentation for lyx uses postscript fonts which call for rendering.  It
substantially pauses for a few minutes while doing so.

(when this has been hashed out before, it seems to have to do with the xserver
being single-threaded).

The solution for this is xfs, which is supposedly running.  However, looking
at top from a regular console, it is X taking all the cycles, while xfs is
idle.

/etc/X11/config reads:

# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/debian.README

run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
start-xfs
start-xdm
xdm-start-server

Is there anything else that should be happening?  I recall that under macbsd
(which was running on a comparable machine), i had to start xfs first and then
use port information to pass this to xdm.  However, it solved the problem, and
the machine was usable while crunching fonts.

rick