Re: Why Debian?

Torsten Hilbrich <Torsten.Hilbrich@bln.de> writes:

> [...]
> Yes!!  I heard that the a.out->ELF update worked well in Debian system
> (no own experience, I started using Debian with 1.2).

Indeed.  At my previous job, I upgraded a HTTP proxy server from a.out
to ELF format with only 2 minutes downtime: i.e. the time needed to
reboot a kernel that supported both binary formats.  All the other
stuff, libraries, daemons, utilities, ... were upgraded multiuser,
with a fully functioning proxy!  (I tested the scenario first on
another, non production host though, just to be sure).

In some situations, this is an important feature.

--
--	Patrick Weemeeuw		patrick@netvision.be
--	NetVision NV,     Parijsstraat 74,     B-3000 Leuven