Re: Debian-Desktop

Alec Clews wrote:

> >> 2) Creating tools to extract files required to install a specific
> >> profile.
> >
> >What exactly do you mean by #2 above?
>
> Well, I want to implment a system where by it is possible to extract a
> subset of the Official Debian distribution for a specific profile.

It sounded like you were going to reinvent dpkg/deity, so I was just
wondering.  If you have read the deity UI spec, you will see that it
is possible to exclude files and or directories of files while
installing packages with deity.

> The
> idea is to make it possible to create small footprint file sets suitable
> for inclusion with other software e.g. on a magazine cover CD.

I was aware of this.  Because of my involvement with the deity project
I've been reading all threads pertaining to package management and
repackaging of debian packages.  People may not always see those of
us in the deity project, but we are listening.

> For Debian-Desktop the target is 98Mb - the size of a jazz drive.

I think you mean Zip drive (100 MB).  The Jazz drive is 1 GB.

> In
> addition to reduced size I want to be able to create file sets with 8.3
> names if required - not all magazines can support RockRidge long file
> names.

As you may already be aware, there are already 8.3 names for all
packages in the ms-dos hierarchies.  My understanding is that dselect
reads the package name from the headers in the package, so it doesn't
much matter what the file is called.  Don't quote me on that though. 8)

> >> Anyone have an inside track on the Deity delivery schedule?
> >
> >We were hoping for Christmas.  But it's difficult to make such
> >promises considering this is a largish project, and people are
> >doing this in their spare time.
>
> I guess that may be a little late. We could hack together some scripts
> before then as a bridge.

That sounds reasonable.  I would hope that once deity is available
that it will suit your needs.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com