Re: Looking for Talk - HOWTO

> I have a question concerning talk. I would like to talk with a friend
> if he and I are online.
> We both connect to the net via ppp.
>
> My friend gets my IP-number, say by e-Mail.
>
> Now he could talk to me by "talk MY_LOCAL_LOGIN@123.45.67.9, right?
> If he tries this, I can see a connect message in my xconsole like
> >-------------------
> 	Aug  5 14:52:42 fliwatut in.talkd[3207]: connect from foo.foo.org
> >----------------       ^^^^^^^
> 		        my hostname here
>
> But I don't get a
> "Talk requested by...."-message on any terminal I am logged in.
>
> So my question is:
> How can I be talked at my local Debian-machine??

You need to set your hostname to the one that resolves  into your ip address.
For example node32.yourprovider.com  This can be done by modifying /etc/hosts
each time you connect, or by using hostname command (and running it as root).
Running 'hostname node32.yourprovider.com' will set your default hostname to
the above.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com