Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

debian-help is a good name. Some people are offended by newbie or novice
labels because those words are often used in conjunction with expletives
by rude netizens.

Mailing lists are a fine way to go. News postings take too long to
propagate and many ISP news servers just don't work right. Some of them
spool 19000 groups to a small hard drive so an important answer would only
be available for 1 day.

There are web packages like wwwboard for html chat. The simple ones
usually work with all browsers although you have to hit reload to see the
new messages. I'm sure someone (myself included) would be glad to host
such a package. If anyone has preferences, let me know. The package should
work OK with lynx and be easily modified/configured (that means perl).
This would provide a place for general discussions including friendly
arguments like 'what is the best mailer to use'.

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > I am afraid that we have to get organized about this - have maintainers
> > or power users "on duty" or something so that we are sure every message
> > gets handled.
>
> I could see one additional list at first, something like debian-help for
> people that have problems with something and the current debian-users for
> general information exchange.  Most might subscribe to the help list and
> it would fee up the general discussion list for more in-depth discussion
> of the pros and cons of different ideas.
>
> To be honest, I would think that something like debian-help and
> debian-install might make better newsgroups under linux.* than mailing
> lists.  Folks could read and respond from places other than their
> subscribed emailing address and articles do no fill a mailbox.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +